Friday 16 May 2014

Book Cover Update

In my last post I shared the beginnings of a cover I am creating for a little handmade sketchbook.

This is how it is looking so far.



Since the last post I have added some stenciling to the background and then started work on the figure. There is still work to do on her, she needs hair colour and dress detail and a little more refining. At the moment her hair and dress are just painted with gesso.

When it is finished I will give it a coat of acrylic wax to help protect it as I intend to fill the book with full page paintings of different faces and figures. I will probably drive myself crazy trying to keep the cover clean.  I know I probably should complete the pages first and then add the cover but I know I will want to put the book together first.

I am linking this post to Paint Party Friday and if you visited last Friday and want to see the finished painting from last week, you can see it here.

Why not go and see what other artistic bloggers are doing by clicking on the badge in the side-bar.

Thanks for visiting. x


16 comments:

  1. The cover is beautiful. I know that dilemma about what to do first! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your lady and I rather like her white hair and dress against the coloured background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your book cover already. I usually coat mine with Modge Podge Gloss and this seems to keep marks at bay. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. the cover is looking so lovely- love the stenciling in the background. I've never used an acrylic wax-only have used PPA or Matte medium or Collage Pauge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is lovely!! I make journals with painted covers, and I think the greatest joy is the idea that the cover will be loved and altered and covered with paint splatters and other goodness. Embrace the mess :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks fab so far... curios about the result ..... a great project this seems to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow she is really beautiful. You create such wonderful art
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and I love the idea of acrylic wax....

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really beautiful. Great textures and colours. Love the circles too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cover! The background textures are really emphasized by the white girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's lovely already! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking great! I love those brown spots in the background. When it's waxed it should be possible to keep it clean, no? Just keep the babywipes near you, everytime you spill something you can wipe it off straight away...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful cover. I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cover is a beauty. I would love to carry this book around. What is acrylic wax? Does it protect your work?

    ReplyDelete