Monday 6 August 2012

Playing with Pan Pastels

Hello Everyone,

There has not been to much time spent in my work room this week what with one thing and another and the other is, of course,  the Olympics. The television  has been on in our house 'morning till night'. There have been so many great moments for Team GB, so far, but the highlight for me was seeing Andy Murray win gold at Wimbledon. I am even writing this in between watching the gymnastics.

I have taken some time out, though, to have a little play with my new Pan Pastels. I first came across them whilst watching Donna  Downey's Inspiration Wednesday videos over on her blog and have wanted to try them out. So here is my first attempt.







This is actually done on a used cereal box. I  primed it with gesso first then applied the pastel. I used sequin waste as a stencil to create the dots and then I used  a flower stencil. The top picture is a true representation  of the colours. I took a few photos and either the lighting or the camera setting must have been different on the second one.
 
For those of you who are a follower of Tag Tuesday, unfortunately I have not done a tag this week. The theme is 'Mermaids and Water babies' and there are some lovely tags on show there if you want to pop over and take a look.

Well I'm off to watch some more of the Olympics, be back soon! x

8 comments:

  1. I was going to say 'these' are lovely...but then when I read your text I realised there's just one! How strange that your camera gave that pinky tinge (which is actually rather nice!)
    I don't know what Pan pastels are....but they give a great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous effect you've achieved with your pastels.I really like the use of the sequin waste and I have to say the flowers are beautiful. I've avoided pan pastels because I already make enough mess and I'm not keen on chalky powder on my fingers -weird I know! - but I always like what they do!
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my pan pastels! They are so much fun. Glad to see you are enjoying them too. You asked me a question about glueing down the leaf I used in my collage. Answer - I used a glue stick. But I may not use it for a poppy, as popies are more fragile. I may use a more liquid glue (watered down white glue, or fluid medium) that I would paint on the back of the flower with a paintbrush. I hope that helps....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous effect - so gentle and delicate. I haven't tried Pan pastels but I'm certainly tempted by your lovely work.
    I've not got much creative work done either with the Olympics on morning, noon and night, but for the me the highlight has been the cycling and especially Sir Chris Hoye getting his sixth gold - just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have achieved a very pretty effect here with your pastels. I love the mix of colours. Not used pastels much, I know they are difficult. I just bought a small pack of the water soluble oil ones and am playing at the moment. Thanks for your comment on my blog, I got a huge bag of buttons at a yard sale a year ago and have been waiting for a project to use some. I too need to do a lot of catching up on Tag Tuesday, too much to do I fear.

    Happy crafting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol, thanks so much for visiting me at mine. Hope you are enjoying the paralympics and also finding some time to play. Absolutely no need to catch up with missed tags. Just join in again whenever you feel like it or a theme inspires you. After circus we are going autumnal to match the season and the mood ... hope you have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so enjoying having your tags at Tag Tuesday. Just thought I'd take some time to let you know :o)

    Very best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting - it's really appreciated.
    Happy crafting,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete