Friday 5 June 2015

Paint Party Friday

If you visited last Friday you will have seen the beginnings of this painting which has changed somewhat. You can see how it looked before the changes here.

Flora
5x7 canvas board




Originally there was a little girl in the forefront which I am sorry to have lost but the body shape of this lady was all wrong so I covered the bottom half of the painting with gesso. With hindsight maybe it was a bit drastic but sometimes frustration gets the better of you, don't you agree?  At the time it was either that or 'Bin City'. I then went on to build up the background again and left the layers beneath showing through for her dress to match the flowers.

The title of this painting came to mind after discovering the work of Flora Bowley. I think Flora is a lovely name and I thought it suited this painting.

This past week I have been perusing Flora's book 'Brave Intuitive Painting'. In the book she suggests that you work on a big sheet of paper or canvas, the bigger the better. So I went out and bought a cheap A2 sketch pad. The paper in it stands up to paint quite well so this weekend I plan to 'go LARGE' and have a play. I'm a little worried about how much paint I'm going to use as I don't normally paint 'big' so I only have the smaller size paint supplies..

Earlier this week I posted another of my postcard sized girls. If you'd like to check her out you can see her here.

I am linking this to PAINT PARTY FRIDAY. It's a great place to see lots of  fantastic artwork.

THANKS FOR VISITING
XXX

16 comments:

  1. Flora is very nice. I think I like the painting better without the girl. And Flora is the perfect name for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful and I so love the colors and patterns and Flora is the perfect name for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has turned into a stunning piece of art! Love the pattern play in her dress ♥ Conny
    Piaroms Art Journaling

    ReplyDelete
  4. this turned out so BEAUTIFUL!!! I love that blue!
    about painting larger; maybe this might help. you can use craft paints to experiment with, and it's a really great way to find out what you like/dislike in that realm. and you can use them all together, good paints/inexpensive ones. I have found the most gorgeous blue gray, that I have used over and over in the "cheap" department ;) and of course I am not saying that our GREAT more expensive paints don't serve us well, time after time! HAVE FUN GOING LARGE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Carol, Flora is utterly gorgeous!! Your intuition to change things was just right.
    I can't wait to see what you do in A2 size.
    Have a super weekend :o))
    Thank you for your lovely comments on my and Wee Man's posts. Look out for another bus soon, lol :o))

    ReplyDelete
  6. she's lovely and I think its wonderful how we can totally change something up, I know I am always tweaking my work, lol never finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her transformation-just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She most certainly IS gorgeous!! It's a lovely painting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is stunning and one of my favourite pieces!! Wow love her dress with the matching flowers which I loved last week...now the dress...wow what a winner you have here! LOVE IT! You listened to your gut and won!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. better without the girl. Strong painting

    ReplyDelete
  11. She has such a kind face. I love her expression and dress. The patterns in the background compliment her well! I know all about going too far and making mistakes, or not getting something just right. You did very well! A great recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flora is very successful, Fuzzie! As far as I'm concerned, I don't think Bin City should feature in our lives at all, lol!! You know what they say... "In mixed media, there are no mistakes, only more layers" lol lol! I am now keeping all my tiny scraps of fabric and offcuts of sewing thread, to make new fabric from, using dissolvable fabric and free motion embroidery! I love recycling!

    Thank you for your lovely comment. I am excited about foiling, and am keen to try lots of different methods. Coloricious has some great ideas on Youtube, and I must dig out Kim Thittichai's "Hot Textiles" book again, that my hubby gave me several years ago!

    Today I am hoping to complete the lavender sachets and start working on the little boxes for them. I want to be able to take them in on Friday when I go for my next chemo treatment.

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Flora is one of my favourite names and your girl is very sweet. I too love flora bowley. Her work us very inspiring. I find working large easier as it frees up the temptation to be too fiddly with a piece.

    ReplyDelete