Sunday 31 July 2016

Early Start


Hi


I was determined to get started early today in my art room and I actually managed to complete a couple of projects. One of them was an idea that has been bouncing around my head for a while now.


I emigrated to Australia with my family in the 60's and lived there for three and a half years. Today kids (boys mostly) collect and swap football cards. But during my childhood in Australia we used to collect picture cards the size of playing cards. Some of them were blank on one side with a picture on and some of them were actual playing cards that had nice pictures on the back.

After seeing artists altering playing cards on-line I had the idea of making my own picture playing cards to collect  and today I did my first one,



This card was inspired by the photo of my morning cereal that I published on my blog the other day.



I then played around with some acrylic paint and some Brusho




As I sat looking at them I started thinking of the very talented artist
 Carla Sonheim's  Imaginary Creatures and found a couple of my own.




In case you can't quite make this last one out it's a little 'mouse like' creature with orange ears.

Something a little different from me but it was fun to do.

Before I go I wanted to share some photos I took of a Buddleja  that I found growing on our drive, There are a lot of bushes full of them around at this time of year but one little seed must have took root in our drive and there it was all alone and a little bedraggled so I picked it and brought it in. Unfortunately even though it was in water it didn't take long before it started to whither. But not before I took some pictures of it against some of my painted papers.






I hope you enjoyed taking a peek at what I have been up to and I hope you all had a creative weekend.

XXX


4 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY enjoyed 'taking a peek' at what you've been up to! Love the way you staged the Buddleja on your backgrounds. ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Buddleja is so lovely. There are many in my area and I stop to smell them as I pass. I am sad to say there doesn't seem to be many butterflies around for them tho' :(
    Your breakfast heart art is so pretty and I too am a fan of Carla Sonheim's and I bet she would love your found creatures. I did her 'Kids art week' last year but just haven't managed it this year.
    Not e to self: must do better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cereal inspired card. There is a challenge online somewhere that does the 52 altered cards in a spiritual manner. I never got around to doing that one but it would be fun. When the sets are completed you can put them on a big ring!! Great piece...adorable mouse and imaginary creature that looks very cowish!!lol Love it all! Stunning flower against your papers too!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your altered cards and the cereal one just goes to show inspiration is everywhere. Thanks for reminding us.
    I have been involved in Artist Trading Card Swaps here in Vancouver, BC Canada where you make 25 or so and swap with other artists. I have made little coiled booklets with them in different themes. They are my Cherished treasures to look at again and again.

    ReplyDelete