I thought I would share with you my current WIP for this weeks Paint Party Friday.
This is the first time I have worked on a canvas board. The size is 5x7 and it started out as a bit of an experiment for adhesives. Up to now I have used gel medium to adhere my papers in my mixed media pieces but I find it very thick, especially now that my container is coming to an end.
My son is taking Gcse Art at school and he is doing a mixed media piece for his final piece of work when he goes back after the end of term break. Even though he chose it as one of his options he is not enjoying it and is not looking forward to doing his final piece. So to save him struggling with the thick remnants of my gel medium I wanted to see if he could use PVA glue, hence the experiment. But as I thought, when the paint was applied the paper lifted in parts so it's off to the shops to purchase some 'thinner' Matt Medium.
However, for me, this has resulted in what's called 'a happy accident', because after sketching in the figure and painting it in gesso the lifted piece formed an interesting shape for the nose.
I find that very exciting when something like that happens. It is like the figure is already in the painting trying to get out. If I hadn't followed its lead I probably would have painted a very different face.
There is a hidden 'little secret' in this piece and if you look really close you may see the early stages of it. I will reveal the secret and share the reason behind it when I post the finished painting.
I am linking this post to PAINT PARTY FRIDAY and if you want to see what's going on over there click on the badge in the sidebar and take a look.
Thank's for visiting x